Monday, December 5, 2011

~Whole Wheat Pizza Dough~

Healthy pizza??? Um...yes please! Besides, it tastes amazing, so why not, right? Half the reason I don't normally like pizza is because I know how unhealthy it is. But there is something special when you know exactly what went into your food. So if you make your own pizza dough, sauce and toppings, you know whether it's healthy or not. This dough is delicious and I got this one from my sis-in-law, Kelli. I just slightly modified it with whole white wheat instead enriched bleached flour.
For those who don't know how to proof yeast, this is how ya do it. You put the yeast and water in a small bowl or measurer with 1/2 tsp. sugar and stir it for a second with a spoon. Let it sit there for 5-10 minutes. It should grow!

After mixing the dough for a few minutes, put it in a big greased bowl and let it rise until the size doubles.

It was cold in my house the day I made this, so I turned on the oven for a few minutes and placed a hand towel over the bowl.

This could probably look prettier, but once the dough has risen, flatten it out onto a cookie sheet or a no-bake air pan (these are my favorite).

you'll need:

4 c. whole white wheat flour
1 pkg. of active rise yeast, or 2 1/4 tsp.
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. honey
1 3/4 c. hot water
2 Tbs. olive oil

get busy:

{This recipe makes two pizzas.} Combine all ingredients in a mixer and mix for 2-3 minutes. Place the dough into a greased bowl and let it rise until it doubles in size. After the dough has risen, cut in half, flatten the dough out and stretch it to the size of pizza you want. {Optional: Brush the crust with olive oil.} I didn't do the olive oil on my pizza and it tasted great. For less oil, do without. Add whatever toppings and fixins' you want! Preheat the oven to 450 and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. You do not need to cook the dough before putting on the toppings. A big thanks to Kelli for this recipe. I can now actually like pizza! This tastes 10 times better than a Papa John's or Pizza Hut type pizza. The best part of this recipe is that if you only want one pizza for dinner, freeze the other half of the dough. The next time you want homemade pizza, simply defrost the dough and you already have it made! Hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment