Wednesday, December 7, 2011

~Sweet Jamaican Jerk Pizza~


I can't say I had ever had this pizza before or even heard of it. My beautiful sis-in-law Kelli gave me this recipe. She and Austin raved about it, so I decided to give it a try. Now...keep in mind, I don't really like pizza. At all. I maybe indulge in it 3 times a year. It's just not my thing. That being said, this was delicious! So good in fact, that I am making homemade pizza again Friday night for dinner. Maybe I will make this a Friday dinner thing. Jeremy loves loves loves pizza. So if we can settle on homemade pizza with homemade sauce and homemade whole wheat pizza crust, then I'm good with that!

Homemade sweet Jamaican jerk tomato sauce. Mmmmm. The only remotely unhealthy part of this meal is 1/3 c. brown sugar (102 calories) and the cheese, which counts as dairy and as long as you stay under 3 c. of dairy per day, you're good. This tomato sauce takes about 8 good-sized tomatoes.

My homemade whole wheat pizza dough. I probably could have rolled it with a pin...yes...that would have been smarter. But I made this at night and was all out of smarts for the day, so I squished it along with my fingers. Whatever!

What gives this pizza the amazing and unique flavor it has is this wonderful little spice. It wasn't in my pantry before, but it is now!

Once the chutney is done, spread it across the dough. Then sprinkle chicken, cheese and green onions! Lots of fun colors.

you'll need:

1 homemade pizza dough {for a great whole wheat recipe, click here}
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
homemade chutney
1 large tomato, diced
shredded jack or mozzarella cheese
1/3 c. chopped green onions

homemade chutney:
8 large Roma tomatoes
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. Jamaican jerk seasoning
2 minced garlic cloves

get busy:

Directions for chutney:
Cut tomatoes in fourths, and put in a food processor (or Blendtec :-) .) In a large skillet, combine the tomatoes with the rest of the ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes until it's thick and the liquid has reduced.

Preheat the oven to 450. Spread the chutney over the pizza dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Top with cheese, chicken, diced tomato and green onions. Bake your super yummy-looking pizza for 20-25 minutes. If you are making your pizza on a storebought pizza dough like Boboli's, cook it for 10 minutes.

I am making BBQ chicken pizza this Friday night with Jeremy's special homemade BBQ sauce. If he lets me, I'll post that recipe. It is far, FAR better than store bought BBQ sauce. You'll never want the store bought kind again. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment