Monday, December 19, 2011

~Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake~


Lemon-Blueberry Breakfast Cake

{Courtesy of alexandracooks.com}

Uh-MAZING!!! I couldn't believe how delicious this cake was!  The office where I work threw a Christmas party and we all brought some food to share. Most people brought store-bought items, and some people made food as well.  I was so excited to try this recipe on my co-workers because I'm still pretty new there and I really wanted to impress everyone!  I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and luckily my sister-in-law had just made it and said it was to die for.  It really is to die for!  My pictures of this didn't do the cake justice, so I've posted some pictures from the website I found this recipe.  I modified the cake to make it healthier, and it was still amazing.  Don't be afraid to try healthier options of unhealthy food!  It's still scrumptious! And it's not as bad for you as it would have been with the original recipe.

serves 6-8
you'll need:

1/2 c. butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon or orange zest
1 c. sugar, plus 1 Tbs. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour (will taste great, I promise!)*
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 c. fresh blueberries
1/2 c. buttermilk**

get busy:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter with the zest and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until combined.  Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.  Gently fold in the blueberries.  

If you like thicker cake, use a 9 inch square pan; if you like thinner cake and need to feed more people, use a 9x13 size pan.  Grease your pan, and spread the batter into the pan evenly {the batter should be way thick).  Sprinkle the remaining Tbs. of sugar onto the batter, and bake for 35-40 minutes.  Insert a toothpick to check if it's done--the toothpick should come out clean.  Let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

*If you use regular enriched white flour, use 2 cups. 
**Supermom taught me a wonderful trick to buttermilk.  You do not have to buy buttermilk at the store!  Make it yourself:  If a recipe calls for 1 c. buttermilk, take a 1 cup measurement, add 1 Tbs. of vinegar.  Fill the rest of the measurement up with milk.  Let it sit for maybe 20-30 minutes.  There you go.  Never buy buttermilk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment