Sunday, January 29, 2012

~Hoover Lemon Bars~

In my most humble opinion, these are the best lemon bars ever!!!!! I have tasted many lemons bars in my day, and most of the time I don't even like them in comparison to these. They are delicious, very easy to make and practically impossible to mess up. I have been making these lemon bars since I was about 9 or 10, and everyone I have ever made them for has liked them (except that one time I burnt them...whoops).

First, make the crust--with butter/margarine, flour, and powdered sugar. Press into a 9x13 pan an bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

After the crust is in the oven, prepare the top: eggs, baking powder, flour, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.

The color should look very yellow. Make sure to mix it once more right before pouring it over the crust.

Pour on the hot crust and bake for another 25 minutes. Once done, the lemon bars will look bubbled on top--perfectly normal.

Once the bars have cooled, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top, cut and serve. Or...grab a fork and just dig in to the pan. That's what I usually do!

You'll need:

Crust:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter or margarine

Top:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. lemon juice (roughly two large lemons)*
1+ Tbs. lemon zest
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Get busy:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the crust ingredients together, mixing in all of the flour. Press into a 9x13 pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Mix the top ingredients together with a whisk or hand mixer. Pour the mixture onto the hot crust and put right back into the oven for 25 more minutes. IMPORTANT: Do NOT use store bought lemon juice--it is nasty, and will make your lemon bars taste like crap-ola! The secret to really good lemon bars is fresh lemon juice. I firmly believe anyone who likes lemon bars will love this recipe.

*The lemon in this recipe can also be swapped out with lime and lime zest. Try it both ways--it's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment