Monday, April 2, 2012

~Oven Baked Kale~

Who knew kale could be so delicious?? I did not think kale was good until I cooked it this way. Baked kale is amazing!! I used to be afraid of trying new or different vegetables I didn't grow up with, but as I get older, I find myself being a little more daring. I would like to thank Pinterest for this. I try a lot of different things from that website I wouldn't have otherwise tried. I tried chard for the first time a few months ago and wasn't a huge fan. If anyone has a good chard recipe, send it my way, and I will give it another go. (Same thing goes for quinoa recipes.) These basically turned into chips when I made them--and it's an incredibly healthy way to have your veggies. I am not a big fan of smothering my vegetables with butter/cheese/other fattening but yummy adds...I try to keep my veggies very simple. I learned this from my awesome sister, Ashley. I asked her one day why she didn't make her veggies fancier, and she replied, "Because I don't want my kids to get used to veggies added with all that stuff. I want them to learn to like veggies the way they are..." (or something like that).
I have made baked kale several times now, and it's even good cold! I could make these at night and eat them as a snack at work the next day and enjoy every bite. This is a very healthy, very easy way to make your veggie for dinner--it requires minimal attention.
They're so pretty! Kale is an awesome superfood and is called the "queen of greens." It is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet and a nutritional powerhouse, according to WebMD. It's incredibly low in calories (36 for every cup) and contains a bunch of vitamins and nutrients.
Serves 2-4

You'll Need:
1 bunch of kale
olive oil
sea salt
pepper, optional

Get Busy:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash the kale and pat dry. You can snap off the long ends if desired. Place on a cookie sheet (with a lip) and drizzle some (not a ton) olive oil over the leaves. Toss the leaves so that they are mostly covered by the oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning the leaves once. Enjoy! The edge of the leaves may turn dark, and you'll know it's done if when you're eating it the leaves are slightly crunchy. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment