Wednesday, March 7, 2012

~Chocolate Mint Brownies~


These are the best brownies ever!!! Oh these are my favorite brownies, and one my most favorite chocolate desserts. This is a true Hoover recipe (I have no idea where my mom got it to be honest). I have made these many, many times, but the other day I made these for my office and they were inhaled by morning. I had to hide the rest of the pan to save some for Jeremy. When my mom made these when all the kids lived at home, we would fight over the pan for the leftover scraps of chocolate and frosting. (Remember that guys?)

So you start with the brownie base, made from scratch. This recipe is way easy; it just takes some time because there are three layers.

After the brownie base has cooled, spread the homemade frosting on top, and let it cool. I was in a rush making this because I wanted to go to bed, so I threw the pan in the freezer so it would cool faster.
Once the frosting is more firm, spread the chocolate frosting on top, and refrigerate. Refrigerating the brownies once they are done will make the chocolate topping harder--which is better.
You want to be careful when spreading the chocolate topping--you don't want to mix the green layer and the chocolate layer. Wait for the chocolate layer to cool a little bit.


You'll Need:
Brownie:
1 c. margarine
2 squares semisweet Baker's chocolate
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
3/4 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)
Green Frosting:
2 c. powdered sugar
2-4 Tbs. evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
4 Tbs. butter
green food coloring
Icing:
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
4 Tbs. melted butter

Get Busy:
Melt the margarine in medium-sized bowl. Add the chocolate squares and melt in the microwave. Do NOT microwave more than 30 seconds at a time or else the chocolate will burn. Cool slightly. Add sugar, eggs and remaining ingredients. Bake in a 9x13 pan for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely.
Combine ingredients for frosting and spread over brownies.
Icing: Melt the two together until completed melted (either in microwave or on stove) and spread over the frosting layer. Put the brownies in the refrigerator to cool completely. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment