Saturday, February 25, 2012

~Au Gratin Potatoes~

Well these were a slice of heaven! I think I got this recipe from a cookbook that Costco gave me on Black Friday last November. I don't often cook starch anymore, especially potatoes (mostly because potatoes are usually cooked in some super fattening way...). Now, to be clear, this isn't the healthiest way to eat potatoes either, but it is a delicious way to eat them! (And according to Costco, it's healthy...) So on occasion, I will make these, perhaps on a random slow Sunday. I made these potatoes with a Coca-Cola Roast and buttered carrots--very yummy meal. Jeremy got seconds too, so that must mean something. My father-in-law Jed gave me a food slicer for Christmas, and holy cow is it sharp! It's so sharp the first time I used it, I sliced my finger open pretty good...after that I was afraid of it. But the other night I made myself use it--it's such a time saver. The only thing I will do differently when I make these next will be to slice the potatoes even thinner.

Serves 6-8

You'll Need:

2 pounds your favorite potatoes
3 Tbs. sea salt
1 Tbs. garlic powder
dash of pepper
Dried minced onions, or minced fresh onions, to taste
3-4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 quart low-fat milk

Get Busy:

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Peel the potatoes and slice them very thin. Layer 1/3 of the potatoes in the pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the salt, garlic, pepper, onions, cheese and milk. Repeat with 2 more layers. Bake until the potatoes are tender, 60-90 minutes. Done! These were so good--I hope you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment