Wednesday, November 30, 2011

~English Toffee~

Supermom's recipe. I think she got it from Moses....it's a really old recipe. And it's every bitfabulous!!!! Who knew toffee was so ridiculously easy to make? It takes 3 ingredients to make the toffee part, plus chocolate and nuts. It ain't gonna brake the bank. I carry all of the ingredients for this in my kitchen anyway. The only tough part to making toffee is taking it off the heat at the right time. If you take it off too soon, it will bend instead of breaking. If you take it off too late, it will smoke and burn and taste like bum! Thankfully, I have made this with Supermom on numerous occasions, so I have learned from the master on proper cooking color.
If you like your toffee thin, pour it over more foil space and nuts. I personally prefer my toffee a little thicker, which makes less (but then you feel better at only sneaking 5 pieces instead of 6....)

The magical caramel brown color it should be right before you remove it from the heat. If it starts to smoke, take it off!! I know there is a more sophisticated way to make this e.g. with a candy thermometer, but I don't have one. So if you don't have one, this is the easiest way to do it.

Once you pour the toffee on the chopped almonds, sprinkle the semi-sweet chocolate chips on top. Let them melt for a few minutes, then spread the chocolate with a knife, until the toffee is covered.

Then sprinkle some chopped almonds across the top! Put it in the fridge to cool a little and then break it apart and inhale it as fast as you can. :-)

you'll need:
1 c. salted butter
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
about 1 1/2. c. almonds, chopped
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

get busy:
Chop the nuts. Place most of the chopped nuts on a foil-covered cookie sheet. Combine the butter and sugar in a medium sauce pan or pot and medium high heat. Stir constantly until "the stuff follows the spoon" my mom would say.* Once the coloring turns caramel brown, remove it from the heat. Carefully add vanilla (it can splash) and quickly stir. Pour toffee over chopped nuts. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Once they have melted, spread them evenly over the toffee. Sprinkle remaining chopped nuts. Refrigerate for about 10-20 minutes or until chocolate is cold. Break up the toffee into small sizes. I like to put mine in a cute Christmas container, but now I will put this new batch in a special place where Jeremy won't find it hehe. Serves 2. Just kidding; it makes more than that. However, at my home, it serves 1 and a half...
*DO NOT a metal spoon to stir the toffee. It will get too hot. DO NOT use a plastic spoon. My mom did that once and the toffee gets so hot that the plastic spoon melted in it! ONLY USE a wooden spoon. Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment