Sunday, November 13, 2011

~Penne alla Vodka~

Yeah, you heard me right. Vodka! This is my signature dish. It's adapted from a Williams-Sonoma recipe, so it has to be delicious, right? When we have friends/family over, this is my go-to recipe. Because it's that good. Yep! Tried and true, everyone has loved it so far. I am obsessed with pasta. Plain and simple, I could never survive a carb-free diet because I won't let go of my pasta. This is one recipe I don't recommend whole wheat pasta, because I think it takes away from the sweet and amazing flavor the sauce provides. Don't worry, the alcohol cooks out! Then you're simply left with the sweet taste from the vodka. I usually love any pasta or meal that has alcohol in it... for example, my all-time favorite restaurant dish is chicken tequila fettucini from California Pizza Kitchen. Ahhh, in fact, I love that recipe so much, I ordered the CPK cookbook today just for that recipe. Can't wait for it to come!! Not as excited to buy tequila...
I forgot to buy mushrooms at the market (dang it!!) so these pictures are sans mushrooms :-( But still fantastic! But of course, I recommend mushrooms. They add a nice texture to the pasta.

I love pastas with creamy sauces, so I make sure to set the ingredients right to get a really creamy sauce. Not your cup of tea? Add less heavy whipping cream.

I made sauteed zucchini tonight with olive oil for the vegetable dish. I usually make this or a delightful strawberry spinach salad with a poppyseed dressing that I have gotten so many compliments on. One of these days, I'll post the recipe for that.


I think my favorite part of this recipe is that I got to use my fresh basil from my baby basil plant! I have been growing this basil since I lived in Laguna Beach this summer, and Supermom kept it alive while I was in Utah (thank you Mama!). I love my plant! Doesn't get fresher than that.

you'll need:

1 lb. penne pasta

4 to 5 tbs. butter, divided
1 pkg mushrooms, maybe 5 oz.? 9 oz? the more the better, sauteed
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. organic tomato paste
1/3 c. vodka (no weird flavor!)
2 tbs. fresh basil
2 tbs. salt
a pinch of cayenne
1/2 c. parmesan cheese

get busy:

Boil water for the pasta in a large pot. Meanwhile, sautee the mushrooms in one pan. In another, melt 4 tbs. butter and the whipping cream over medium-low heat in a large frying pan. In a small bowl, stir together the vodka and tomato paste. Stir into cream mixture. Add basil and cayenne. Cook on medium-low heat until you can't really smell the alcohol anymore. Add the sauteed mushrooms to the sauce. The sauce should be cooked enough to coat the back of a spoon. Want it thicker? Lower the heat and cook it longer.

Meanwhile, your water should be boiling by now. Add the penne and salt and cook until al-dente. Drain water; combine with sauce and parmesan and mix together. This recipe is great served with a yummy salad and garlic bread. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment