Sunday, October 23, 2011

~Portobello Mushroom Lasagna~

Oooooohh my goodness!!! Best recipe I have tried in months! I have to thank my awesome sis-in-law Kelli Hoover for this one. I wasn't sure how it would taste because the ingredients overall seem so simple. Quite the opposite, the lasagna was actually such a burst of flavor in my mouth. I kind of messed up making this one (I know...so untoward and unlike me, right?). I didn't buy portobello mushrooms (oops) and I forgot to put parmesan cheese in the middle layers (oops again!).



I made crispy parmesan asparagus with this lasagna, and I have to say, it went together quite well.


Once you make the sauce and cook the noodles, pour 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Then you add noodles and cover the bottom, add more white sauce, mushrooms, noodles, parmesan, and repeat, repeat, repeat. I made half of the recipe in a 8x8 and I will still have some delicious leftovers for lunch tomorrow.


More layers, more noodles


And the finished product. Yaaayyyyy!

you'll need:

kosher salt
olive oil
3/4 pound whole wheat lasagna noodles
4 c. whole milk
12 Tbs. butter (1 1/2 sticks) divided
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms
1 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese

get busy:

Preheat the oven to 375. Bring a large pot of water to boil with 1 Tbs. salt and a dash of olive oil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain; set aside. For white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan; set aside. Melt 1 stick of butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for one minute under low heat, stirring with a whisk. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tsp. salt and some pepper over medium low heat for 3-5 minutes or until thick. Set aside off heat.

Separate the mushrooms stems from the caps; discard stems. Slice the caps 1/4 inch thick. Heat 2 Tbs. oil and 2 Tbs. butter in a large saute pan. Half the mushrooms and cook under medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender. Repeat with remaining mushrooms and set aside.

To assemble, spread some of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Arrange a layer of noodles on the top, then more sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese. Repeat 2 more times. Top with a layer of noodles and sauce and sprinkle some parmesan cheese.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and brown. Mine was done in 42 minutes. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before eating it. This has become one of my favorite recipes. Hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it, it's one of our favs too! So easy right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was way easy. I can't wait to make it again! Thanks girl :-)

    ReplyDelete