Saturday, October 22, 2011

~Butternut Squash Soup~

Another wonderful recipe my sister found! This soup makes for a perfect fall dish coupled with some homemade rolls. I made it last night, and it took less than 30 minutes from start to finish to make. I personally really enjoy butternut squash. I mentioned before that I was on a pumpkin kick as of late, and this is really no exception. Butternut squash is in the pumpkin family, so I'm keeping it going folks!




Cut up the squash in cubes. The smaller you cut the pieces, the faster it will cook. I have found it is much, much easier to cut the squash if you peel the squash until you see the orange show through.


This is what it should look like after you add the chicken broth. Bring it to a boil, cover, then reduce the heat so it simmers.


Once the squash is soft, transfer it to a blender and puree it until it is smooth. Then pour it back into the saucepan.


Bring it back to a boil, then reduce the heat and add the cheese. Voila!


you'll need:

5 leeks (white portion only), sliced
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
2 Tbs. butter
4 c. chicken broth
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
2 Tbs. thinly sliced green onion

get busy:

In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender.
In a blender, cover and process mixture in small batches until smooth; return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese and stir until the soup is heated through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and onion if you want. I didn't do that last time, but it tastes great either way.

Make 6 servings. I made the full recipe and froze half of it for another night, so now I have a meal all ready for another night. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment